Beating Contempt of Court for Child Support

Call us and schedule an appointment today!

How To File Contempt of Court Child Custody

how to beat contempt of court

Child support enforcement is an important mechanism in ensuring that children receive the financial resources they need for their well-being.

However, noncustodial parents may sometimes face difficulties fulfilling their financial obligations, resulting in contempt of court charges. This article will guide you through some steps you can take to address this issue.

Understanding Contempt of Court

To better address this issue, it is essential to first comprehend what ‘contempt of court’ entails.

When one party violates court orders or behaves disrespectfully in the court, it is considered contempt. In the context of child support, failing to fulfill the required payments may lead to a contempt of court charge.

Responding to a Contempt of Court Motion

Attend All Court Hearings

Missing a court date can worsen your situation and lead to additional penalties. Therefore, make sure to attend all scheduled court hearings and maintain a respectful demeanor throughout.

It’s important to show the court your commitment to rectifying the situation.

Hire a Legal Representative

Navigating the legal system can be complex, especially when emotions and family ties are involved.

Hiring a competent attorney can help you understand the nature of your case, your rights, and the best course of action. They can also represent you in court and ensure that your voice and side of the story are accurately presented.

Mitigating Circumstances and Defense Strategies

Prove Inability to Pay

To hold someone in contempt, the court must prove that the person has the ability to pay but has willfully failed to do so.

If you genuinely cannot afford the child support payments due to reasons such as loss of employment, health issues, or other financial hardships, you must present this evidence to the court.

This could be in the form of pay stubs, medical records, or unemployment documentation.

Request a Modification of Child Support Order

If your financial situation has changed significantly since the original child support order, you can petition the court to modify the order.

You’ll need to provide detailed documentation proving your change in circumstances.

The court may then adjust your payments to a level that is manageable for you, considering both your needs and the needs of your child.

Communication and Cooperation

Maintain Open Communication with the Other Parent

Where possible, maintain open communication with the other parent. If you foresee that you will be unable to make a payment, let them know ahead of time and explain your situation.

They may be willing to negotiate a temporary arrangement outside of court, or at the very least, this openness can show good faith if you end up back in court.

Stay Current with Future Payments

Even if you can’t pay past due amounts, try your best to stay current with future payments. Regular, consistent payments can demonstrate to the court that you are not willfully neglecting your responsibilities.


Facing contempt of court for child support can be daunting, but it’s important to remember that the primary goal of these orders is to safeguard the child’s welfare.

If you find yourself unable to meet your child support obligations, seek legal advice, present clear evidence of your inability to pay, and explore possibilities for modification of the order.

Keeping open communication and maintaining respectful relations with the other parent can also play a pivotal role in mitigating these issues.

Above all, stay focused on the most important aspect – the welfare and needs of your child.

contempt of court judge

Share Post:

Customer Testimonials

Our customer’s feedback and experience are the most important part of what we do and are what motivate us to strive forward.

Founded with the goal of providing quality legal services for the people of Odessa, Midland, Andrews and the remainder of the Permian Basin. 




Join our newsletter and find out more